Last week I had the pleasure of speaking with a gym full of middle-schoolers at Lane Middle School in West Allis, Wisconsin, on the topic of ACHIEVEMENT, and OVERCOMING OBSTACLES. While I talked a bit about the overcoming of my own physical challenges after my climbing accident, I was able to reflect a bit about what it is like to be a middle-schooler. It’s tough! Check out the suggestions below….
overcoming obstacles 101
- View your obstacle as a challenge, or a very deep ADVENTURE!
- Befriend yourself. Love who you are!
- Celebrate your quirks, oddities, and what makes you different and special.
- Be able to LAUGH at yourself! (it’s really important)
- Stop judging yourself, and others.
- Do your BEST…then let it go. Focus on the POSITIVE and stay there.
- Find your “tribe” (Folks who get you, and you get them.)
- Squash any feelings of shame like a bug….SPLAT!
- Be Creative! Adapt….do what works for YOU.
- Remember, YOU are the star of your own life masterpiece.
- Reach out, connect. Be around people who celebrate you.
- Always remember, COMPARISON IS THE THIEF OF JOY.
- Rock on!!! Love, Chris